Saturday, June 5, 2010

Test Graphics

I've been playing around with some tile design ideas to use for the example adventure to be included with the Super Immortal Role Playing Engine. I want to capture and early NES feel, and have been trying to stick to the NES resolution restrictions of 256 by 224. The other NES restrictions are a lot more difficult to follow--FIRST OF ALL, there are only 56 colors total, and from those colors, you make a palette. A palette is made of 3 colors plus an alpha channel (for transparency), THEN, you can only have 4 distinct palettes in the background, AND 4 distinct palettes for the sprites, AND THEN, you can only have 1 palette per 2x2 tile. And it only gets more tough from there.

Anyways, here's the tiles I have so far:


And here is a quick mockup of a castle I've been putting together:


Tell me what you think! If there are any tiles I should include that you don't see, let me know. I know that for sure I'm going to add some trees, and maybe like, a waterfall, and those kinds of things. But let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, the NES style is here, but I don't think all poeple will like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well some poeple choose to play a game by looking at the graphics xD.

    But nevermind, graphics aren't the most important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I really like the style, dont worry about it.

    ReplyDelete