Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Progressive Letter-by-Letter Text

I've been messing around with bitmap fonts, and threw together a text engine that reveals text a letter at a time like in practically every older game.

Take a gander:


At the moment, the text engine for the Super Immortal Role Playing Engine is different. Instead of the standard "press a button" to talk to somebody, you automatically talk to them when you walk up to them. This is admittedly because of laziness--but a great idea came out of this. Instead of saying the same thing no matter what, each person says different things depending on which direction you approach them from. This is cool because you can get directions, or have people tell secrets and say stuff they don't want the others to hear. It's just cool.

I think I will keep the direction specificness, but implement this new system I've been experimenting with. It will take a little bit of extra work to put in a push-button, letter-by-letter system, but I think it will be worth it for legitimacy.

Also, GOOD NEWS! I read up on the recording software I've been using to capture video and did what had to be done to get sound to work. Now you can hear sound in the videos!

1 comment: