Wednesday, June 16, 2010

New Desk and New Chair

A little bit of a change of pace today. I got my hands on a new desk, but it's a little bit taller than my old one and my chair no longer reached. So, I decided to take the time I've normally been dedicating to the RPG engine, and make my chair taller. I took pictures so you can follow along:



This is the before picture. Yes I know, the desk is backwards. There isn't enough room to flip it around in my room, but it's okay for now because I'm moving soon actually.



The metal legs are just bolted into a plank of wood that runs along the bottom of the chair. My plan was to simply add a board to add height.



This is what the bottom of the chair looked like after taking the legs off. I wish I would have taken a picture of the legs! Actually, I gave the legs a good bath in WD-40 to get rid of their squeaks.



Oops. The board I planned to add between the legs and the plank wasn't wide enough to drill into. Luckily, cut in half, the two boards measured to be perfect.



Actually, speaking of cuts, it was at this point that I noticed I was bleeding. I don't know how it happened. Didn't even feel it. Strange.



Next, drilling. No blood here, fortunately. (though I suppose it would be more entertaining if there was...:P)



Then it was time to dig through the junk drawer for bolts, because the stock bolts would be too short after adding another board to go through. Lots to dig through...



It was pretty awesome when I found 4 of the EXACT thing I was looking for in less than a minute of digging. The stock nuts even fit these new bolts. (new on the left, old on the right)



Then it was time to re-fasten the legs. I drilled my holes a little small, so the bolts were having a tough time wanting to fit, but it was nothing a hammer couldn't fix.



There. All done. The best part is that it totally rocks more than it did before (literally, it's a rocking chair and it rocks further now because it's higher up.)

2 comments:

  1. and now more prone to tipping, i bet. nothing like a little danger when writing a new blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. already fell over once actually...

    ReplyDelete